gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Early 70's Gitane Tour de France
Early 70's Gitane Tour de France 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
LARider
After many false starts, I am finally ready to let go of my long-held and much-enjoyed Gitane Professional Tour de France.

I am hoping that you Gitane lovers will be able to help me to learn more about it and to set a fair price for it. Details about its history and condition follow.

I bought it from my boss in 1973, but do not recall when he said he bought it. I rode it heavily and for long distances throughout the remainder of the 70’s and into the mid-80’s. I have ridden it sporadically since then and only for short distances.

Specifics:
Damage: Not long after buying it, I slipped off the edge of a street into the gutter and fell. The left fork was bent forward as a result, but no wheel damage. The bend is about ¼” forward with no lateral bend. I took it to a shop after the accident and was advised not to try to straighten it. I followed the advice and left it like it was. The only change in riding conditions I have ever noticed is that riding with no hands requires a different balance. It’s necessary to lean left slightly to remain balanced.
Non-original equipment: Seat post (I needed an extension); saddle (I still have the original Freccia D’Oro hard plastic seat [ouch!]); sprocket (I installed a larger one, but still have the original one.).
Color: Purple. Paint condition: various scratches. Most of the scratches and scrapes are on the top tube and on the down tube near the seat post area where the lock and chain were strapped.
Frame size: down tube top to center – 23.25” (59 cm?); top tube center to center – 23.25”
Decals of note: 531 on the seat tube and the left fork. “Custom made” decal on down tube. Reynolds 531 decal on down tube is worn and is in French, but enough remains to show a “full set”.
Derailleurs: Simplex, front and rear.
Shifters: Simplex.
Crankset: Stronglight 52.
Brakes: Mafac Competition with rubber half-hoods.
Dropout: Simplex horizontal.
Headset: Stronglight (#??)
Stem: Pivo – cast aluminum.
Handle bars: Probably Pivo alloy.
Tires: New. Not original (They went flat and cracked.)

The bike is in very good operational condition, but all of the parts need to be cleaned and will be. Also, the stem will be inspected for cracks.

So, given all of the above and from looking at the photos, (1) can you guess at its vintage, and (2) do you have opinions on a fair and honest value of the bike?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
LA,
It is similar to my '72-73 TdF. I REALLY like the Criterium Purple. Where are you starting the bidding? Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
My guess is this is a late 1970 to early 1972 Tour de France that is pretty much original except for the seat, handle bar tape and wheels.

The headset is a Stronglight P3 and the crankset is a Stronglight model 93. The pedals are the original Lyotard alloy 460Ds.

Someone changed rims from alloy sewups to clunky 27" steel clincher rims (the only negative I see about the bike). The hubs look like they are Normandy Luxe models.

A competent bike shop or a frame builder can straighten the forks which will drastically improve the handling.

Good luck selling it.

Chas.
Early 70's Gitane Tour de France 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane