gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » eBay '84 Gitane Criterium
eBay '84 Gitane Criterium 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:25 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
OK, a reworked Gitane Criterium for $318 including shipping. Viewed 983 times.
Will the Super Corsa top $1000?

Jay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:03 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Jay,

As I mentioned before, unfortunately for the seller, because it a 62cm size frame I don't think that it will bring much more than the current price. If several tall buyers get into a bidding contest at the end of the auction, maybe $700 tops.

YMMV though, I lost out on a 57cm 1978 Colnago last fall that's now a wall hanging at a wank shrine in Japan! This might look great hanging on the wall against a tatami mat! Crying or Very sad

The willow leaf brazed on seat stay caps, the rear brake cable stop bridge and especially the silver Mylar foil in the head tube area suggests that this is a 1967-69 model bike. It may have been purchased in 1970 but as with my first Super Corsa, it was a 1971 model that I bought new at the end of 1973.

Looking at this bike closely again I noticed a couple of things about it. This is a nice old bike in great condition for the age but it's not completely original.

For starters the rear derailleur is a Campagnolo Record model made of chrome plated brass and steel. The aluminum alloy Campy Nuovo Record derailleurs came out in 1967 but were in short supply until at least 1968. Someone at a bike shop may have switched derailleurs when it was new - IT COULD HAPPEN!

The Campy Record brake set was first shown in October, 1968 but wasn't readily available until early 1970; even some Campy sponsored European teams didn't have them until the end of the 1969 racing season.

The Campy brakes are not original. While Gitane listed them as an option, I never saw a Super Corsa that came from the factory with Campy brakes. It probably came with Mafac Dural Forge or Racer centerpull brakes, maybe Mafac Competition brakes. When I got my SC I changed the brakes to Universal sidepulls.

Campy brakes were in such short supply and such high demand that they were frequently pulled off of lower priced pro bikes for use on high end bikes. A lot of bike makers offered Campy brakes as an option for an extra $100 to $125 which was quite an expensive vanity upgrade for bikes that sold for $275 to $350 new.

Campy brakes sold for $125 to $150 a set IF you could get them. We used to buy early 70s Bottecchias for $300 USD delivered just to get the Campy gruppos and other components which we sold for ~$500!

The bars and stem are Cinelli, the originals would have been Pivo. The Campy shifters would have been down tube not barend and braze on shift lever mounts didn't come until much later. The seat would have been an Ideale 90 rather than a Brooks Pro.

So... happy bidding! Cool

Chas.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:58 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Chas.,
Thanks for the info. All this is a relearning experience for me. I've just sat back and watched the entry level Gitanes on eBay the past two weeks and noted final prices realized. $77.-$270. NOT including shipping and none were totally original.

The Criterium price almost doubled from where it was earlier in the day. I'm just wondering if the SC will do the same come the final hours. I'm sure there are lurkers.

I put in my "just for haaas" bid on the SC and that is it. The current price is well above. I have no interest in another large frame to ride or hang in the basement.

HAS the $10k Gitane started something??? We'll see.

Jay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:33 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Jay,

Ebay offer a great research service where one can find out start and sold prices and much more besides. Unfortunately it costs after 90 days but it might be worth a go as a trial to see how items have trended over time. The other method is simply to watch as many items as possible, noting the information manually, but it is free of charge.

Here's the information http://pages.ebay.com/marketplace_research/

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:38 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Tim,
I've been using the manual mode. Tracking: starting price, ending price, # of views, and total with shipping. I also note Year, Model, and how original the bike is.

A database might be interesting.

Jay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quote
verktyg
I think that there's a growing trend to collect older lugged steel frame bikes. The fixie fad may be partially responsible (why do I think castration - of both the bike and the rider when I hear the word fixie?). Twisted Evil

Last fall I picked up a 1984 Gitane Tour de France on eBay for $300. I bought all of my other Gitane frames and bikes for <$100 to $225 USD. Patience and deciding what the maximum I'm willing to pay is the secret. Wink

BTW, I heard that Bianchi is bringing out a classic lugged steel frame bike in the near future. So much for plastic bikes - how many old big wheels do you see? Laughing

Chas.
666 - The sign of the beast! 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
666 - The sign of the beast, well almost. Shocked

The 62cm Super Corsa that just closed on eBay went for $660.00 USD. It looked like $666.00 when I first saw the closing bid. Laughing

The opening bid today was $517.00 so it didn't go much higher.

The high bidder jakes5 has an eBay store specializing in antiques. He may part it out or try to resell it. I bought a few things from him, he's a decent seller.

Chas.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Chas.,
I looked behind the scenes too. Did you see his "Team Mack" cycling page?

Jay

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Pretty neat stuff....

http://www.teammackracing.org/

Maybe it will go to a deserving soul after all. Laughing

Chas.
eBay '84 Gitane Criterium 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane