gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » what do i have?
what do i have? 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote
wnctroutbum
Hey guys I am new to the site, really I am new to gitane all together. I have rode mountain bikes a long time. I have been wanting a vintage road bike for a long time to restore and maybe race some(we will see). I ran across this bike in a family members barn over the weekend and decided to make it my new project I think? I really don't know what it is or where to get parts, any help would be great.

Gitane 600 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
You have a 1975 or 76 Gitane model 600 bike:

http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1976_pg5.jpg

This has a standard steel frame like those used for the Gitane Gran Sports bikes that had steel cranks, bars and rims.

The Gitane 600 had Shimano 600 derailleurs and other economy alloy components. This bike probably weighs about 25 to 26 Lbs.

Chas.
Bicycles and Golf 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:41 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Think of it this way...every time you buy a new part it's like paying Green Fees to play Golf. If you are going to enjoy it and get satisfaction out of the project, go for it. Once you buy new Tires and Bar Tape you may come close to spending what you could sell the bike for before doing anything else.

I'm close to finishing a restore and have spent at least five times what the Bike will be worth but I have had FUN and learned from it.

You could just get it ride able, attach a piece of PVC to carry your pole, a rack for your tackle box, and sling the creel over your back to head for the Stream and flip some Flies to the Rainbows.

What do Waders cost nowadays?
Jay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote
vanhelmont
You probably don't need a lot in the way of parts. The bike looks more neglected than worn out, and Shimano 600 parts are decent. Tires, handlebar tape, and perhaps cables if the ones you have are rusty, are fairly cheap, and available at any bike shop.

My favorite source of info is to Google "sheldon brown part", where part might be brakes, bottom bracket, handlebar tape, or any other part of the bike I need to know how to repair or adjust.

This article might be interesting to you:

http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/broderir/Catalogs-Posters/Road-Tests-Reviews/Bicycling-1976-07-B/Page+01.jpg.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:00 pm Reply with quote
wnctroutbum
Thinks guys you have been very helpful, I think for now I might just get tires, bar tape, and new cables. just to see how it rides.

Ps. greyhundguy, a good pair of simms waders start at like $200 Basspro has some pretty goods ones for like $100
what do i have? 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane