gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Mafac Brake Hoods
Mafac Brake Hoods 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:51 am Reply with quote
natprice
The original rubber brake hoods on my 70's gitane TdF are crumbly and falling apart. There seems to be a metal clip where the brakes meet the handlebars holding them in place. How does the clip come out? Also, does anybody know where to get replacements?
Mafac brake lever half hoods 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
It just hooks into the slot. Sometimes the little piece of metal has to be slightly bent to stay in place.

These half hoods show up regularly on eBay but they usually go for at least $20 USD a pair.

Also the later model full hoods in both black and gum rubber are frequently for sale on eBay. They for for $30-40 USD for a pair.

Chas.
eBay Hoods 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
I've kept up with the Mafac 1/2 Hoods for about 2 Months on eBay. The NOS White have been averaging $55/pair, Black $25/pair, and Red $45/pair. I think White came on most of the 70's TdF's but may have varied with the frame color. My Whites are still in good condition but have discolored to almost look like Gum (a scrub is on the to do list). I thought they were Gum originally until I looked on the underside and found they were still nice and White.

They do seem to be bringing more than they were 6 Months ago. Patience on eBay may yield a better price. I called at least 12-15 old Bike Shops and none of them had them in New or Used.

Jay

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote
natprice
thanks for the help. i figured it out before i got back on the forum. i just had to loosen the 9mm bolt on the inside of the brakes to give it a little wiggle room and the clip slid out. i saw the half hoods on ebay and they seemed a little overpriced but i guess you cant get them anywhere else...
Mafac Brake Hoods 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane