gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » I want to improve this Interclub...
I want to improve this Interclub... 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
teebo
Got this a week ago. It is in good shape, not mint by any means; a nice utilitarian '84 Interclub 12 speed.
It has original Mavic Module >>E<< rims, Guidron(?) bars, Stronglight cranks with 52/42 rings, and Simplex front derailleur.
The previous owner added a Sora real derailleur and Serfas Seca RS FPS tires. And funky Suntour XC-II
pedals.
I put on the cage and lock bracket and am going to replace the Weinmann brakes; they won't stay centered and would rather have dual pivots.
I would like to put on a chromed fork, but don't know where to find one.
I am new to Gitanes, and would appreciate any help I can get.
I really like the bike, it is slightly big for me; I am 6'2" and the stand over height is 35"... kinda tight but acceptable..
Thanks
T

[/img]
Nice bike 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Welcome to the forum. Nice bike.

First question, why do you want a chrome fork? You can probably still find a chrome plated Tange fork made with chrome moly alloy tubing but... An unmatched fork on a frame this size can drastically alter the handling. Additionally you might have to replace the headset to get the fork to fit properly.

The Interclub was designed as a club or entry level racing model. The fork has a 40mm (1 .5") rake which is fairly short to work with the 73° head tube angle. Replacement forks will probably have a longer rake plus they may change the head tube angle due to the overall length. Big bikes get real squirrelly when you mess with the front end geometry! Shocked

http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1984/Page_02-b.jpg

Dual pivot brakes with definitely improve the stopping power over the old Weinmann sidepulls. The brake pads on some brands are better than others.

The Shimano Sora components are near the bottom of their offering but the dérailleurs probably still work better than those made 25-30 years ago. A Shimano 600, 105 or Ultegra rear dérailleur may shift a little better than the Sora if it's worn.

Your stem appears to sticking out of the steering beyond the safety mark. If the expander wedge is putting pressure on the inside of the treads it could result in a very unhappy experience if the top of the threads should fail... Just a heads up. You could try a shorter stem to correct the height problem if need be.

Last comment, it looks like the seatpost is not sticking out of the frame very much which causes me to think of the soprano effect if you ever have to dismount in a hurry. Confused

Welcome again,

Chas.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:36 am Reply with quote
teebo
Thanks for responding, Chas.
The chrome fork idea was based on aesthetics. I'm not married to the idea. As I said, I am new to Gitanes, and haven't actively ridden in some time... never owned a "name" bike but had some passable Japanese made ones in the '70's boom and one in the '80s. They were all stolen.
I just want this one to be as well equipped as possible, or as well as the frame warrants. I got it 10 days ago and haven't adjusted it much. I did raise the stem when straightening it after the seller shipped it from Utah, (I bought it on eBay) and thought it may be a tad high.
And the potential Soprano effect:shock: IS on my mind; the thought of trading it for a shorter bike is there as well. I guess I would have to find someone with very long legs and a bike (or frame) that would be of comparable quality. That may be a long shot.
Although my college-student son works in a bike shop, he and his guys are more interested in the new gear so I'm looking to y'all for info/ideas. Also, the decals on this particular bike don't exactly match what is shown in the '84 catalogue. Did decal placement/style vary that much?
Thanks,
Tim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Tim, nice machine and thanks for posting.

Below is a link to a great quick guide on riding position, including saddle position as devised by Cyrille Guimard, for Lemond.

PDF: http://www.giste2e.net/documents/training/Riding%20Position.pdf

HTML: http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:Cceniw8f2xwJ:www.giste2e.net/documents/training/Riding%2520Position.pdf+%22riding+position%22+bicycle+guimard&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2

For riding position, in my experience, a manual calculation, as exampled above, has always worked to provide an efficient and comfortable result.

Do post a shot of the bike to the Owner Gallery.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
teebo
Tim,
Thanks for the links. I will try to make the proper adjustments. If the frame IS too tall (25mm is slightly under an inch and that's about where it is with me) and I can't get comfortable with it, I have a 6'5" nephew who is fiercely into bikes, maybe I can trade for one of his or he can wheel and deal for me.
Don't know if he's into Gitanes that much though.
Will post on the gallery.
Thanks again,
Tim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
The 1984 catalogue picture shows the 1983 decals. In 1984, they switched the decals...to the type that you have there. The catalogue is, technically speaking, "wrong"...or the bikes they issued were...

Gitane was notorious for not matching the product available in the stores with the specs in the catalogue.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote
cooltech
For bike parts I started looking into several old used bike parts stores rather then new modern bike stores. The new model stores just dont' have the parts and even their catalogs are limited in the "old style parts" category. One store I came across while driving in Philly Pa. and another was still listed in the phone book. It took awhile but I found all I needed for my "74" Gitane.
cooltech Cool

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:39 am Reply with quote
teebo
Thanks, cooltech.
I have already encountered a prob.: Newer brakes have mounts with recessed nuts and the mounting holes in older forks must be drilled out slightly to accept them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:54 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
It may just be a different size. Always try an alternative before drilling the frame or fork! Of course, if it isn't a recessed fitting...then perhaps that is the only alternative. But seriously look at alternatives before drilling a frameset.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
teebo
...and, I just found out, even when mounted, some don't have enough reach to adjust to the rims properly. Sheesh.
Brake pads 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Shimano BRR600 Long Reach Road Brakes have a 57mm reach. Tektro and Cane Creek also make long reach brakes. The Yellow Jersey, Ltd.
lists some less expensive dual pivot brakes:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/mbs.html

The brake pads are usually the most critical element on better quality bikes. The pads on your bike are probably close to 25 years old.

Kool Stop makes pads that will fit your Weinmann brakes. The Campy Replacement Pad style should fit in your brakw blocks but the Continental complete brake blocks will be easier to install. They'll make a big difference in stopping power.

http://www.koolstop.com/brakes/index.php

BTW, a lot of semi-pro bikes used the Weinmann brakes because they were lighter weight than Campy and Campy knock off brakes.

Chas.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:08 am Reply with quote
teebo
If I could get the Wienpersonns to stay centered and adjusted I would use them. I've tried all the suggested remedies but the seem to have a mind of their own. Maybe they are "self centering" but I doubt it.
Brake adjustment 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Maybe you're trying to run the Weinmanns too closely adjusted to the rim. I like to keep the brake pads at least 3mm - 1/8" per side distance from the rim.

Try snugging the calipers to the frame (not too tight as the mounting studs can shear off).

Use a drift or long punch and a hammer to tap on the spring behind the caliper to gently center the calipers. Squeeze the brake levers to make sure the calipers are centered.

Also, the pads should be very slightly "toed in" in the front to help prevent squealing.

Good luck,

Chas.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:47 pm Reply with quote
teebo
Thanks, Chas.
I'm going out of town tomorrow (money beckons!) and will be unable to do any tweaking for at least a week.
Will keep an eye on the forum in the meantime...
I want to improve this Interclub... 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane