gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » full chrome and reynolds 531 tubing Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
full chrome and reynolds 531 tubing 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
poufthecascadeur
hi,a new gitane in my garage today!!!
but please help me to identify this new bike.
It's a full chrome reynolds 531 tubing,with sugino crankset,first dura ace breaks and direction,pivot? stem and bar,gold simplex front derailleur (the rear derailleur was absent) but i think it's an old modification,campagnolo record hub and a special seat post...
i have always seen such a full chrome frame on the forum but i can't find the topic.
thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quote
poufthecascadeur
sorry now the pictures:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Man is that going to be a pretty bike! You should go and get some copper wool immediately and begin cleaning it up! After you have removed the surface rust and other dirt from the chrome, polish it up to prevent the rust from reappearing. Careful around the 531 decal...

That bike needs some new Gitane decals as well. They really should be the teal (green) colored ones, so be sure to specify:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Early-Gitane-decal-set-complete-yellow-or-green-choice_W0QQitemZ300211719420QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item45e6034cfc&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Full Chrome 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote
gmany
Here's the link to another full chrome, but with campy parts.

http://www.gitaneusa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1029&highlight=chrome

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
From the rear drop outs, this would appear to be a 1974-76 Model.

Jay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
poufthecascadeur
thanks for the topic ,i contact the other french owner to compare our models.
It seems to be a (very) rare version but which kind of model:super corsa,tdf...?
i'm agree wiht the year '74 and i will as soon as possible stop the rust ,clean it up and put some new decals (a friend of mine could made some good reproduction) .
For the equipement i still don't know:
may be complete all the equipement with shimano dura ace first version (i have a complete set of derailleurs)
or campy record (in that case i will search some components)
or full french components (i have a set of huret jubile derailleurs,mafac brakes....stronlight crank set) ?
the history of this bike is incredible ,i found it during a ride with my young daughter ,it was abandoned in an old bus with a lot of wastes,fortunately i found the owner of the bus and could bought the bike for few euros.
At first sight i believe it was a cbt frame but when i saw the rear drop out i knew that i have discovered a rare gitane.
i'm very happy because i was looking for a tour de france since long months.
sorry for my poor english and thank you for your details and suggestions

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
I can't wait to see your bike once it is finished. Cool Welcome to the forum.

Don't worry about your English, most of the people around here are Americans and they can't speak it very well either Wink !

Besides, I'm happy if we all combine to butcher their silly language anyway, because the rotten blighters just beat us in the Ashes Mad .

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:24 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
What on earth are you talking about, Wisey???

Regarding the decals on that bike, they are available for $45...I don't know why you would want to redesign them. Seems pretty affordable to me for a completely refinished bike.

The chrome is going to look GREAT after you clean it with copper wool and get some polish on there!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
What am I talking about Rolling Eyes ? The Ashes, man Shocked !! OK, History of the British Empire 101 Rolling Eyes :
The French hate the English and fought many wars against them Confused .
The Americans hate the English and fought the war of independance against them Mad .
Most of the colonies around the world booted them out between 1920 and 1980 Evil or Very Mad . The Aussies also hate the English and fight a Evil or Very Mad war Evil or Very Mad with them every second year called THE ASHES Twisted Evil . This thing is more important that the Tour, the Olympics, and the Super Bowl combined Shocked . and the poms just flogged us......... Embarassed Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ashes

Anyway, yes the green decals on the chrome frame are going to look great! Cool Cool Cool

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
So is the "Ashes" a game in the sport named after a bug? You know, the one that was stuck in the 18th century until the Americans perfected it and brought it into the modern era?

Kind of reminds me of Rugby...which is (American) football, light.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
When you say "brought it into the modern era", I think you mean changed the ball from dark red to white so you can get it autographed by an overpaid, overwieght, unfit, substance abuser and then sell it on ebay Wink . God, I love America Cool ! Because other than that, both cricket and baseball are equally boring, and I can't sit and watch for more that 1.27 minutes Rolling Eyes .

As for Rugby.........

If you think cycling has got problems, do a news search on the NRL (Rugby League) in Aust and see what's going on there. Alcohol abuse, substance abuse (and I'm not talking about performance enhancing subs), and the big one right now is rape. The RL culture has really hit the bottom of the pit. The cases of rape, assault, general violence, domestic violence is as constant as doping in the peleton a few years ago. Every week, there is another story.......

Anyway, I think I'm going to go absorb some of the lovely sunshine here and roll out some miles............ or kilometres as we prefer to call them in the "modern era"......... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:26 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Wisey wrote:
What am I talking about Rolling Eyes ? The Ashes, man Shocked !! OK, History of the British Empire 101 Rolling Eyes :
The French hate the English and fought many wars against them Confused .
The Americans hate the English and fought the war of independance against them Mad .
Most of the colonies around the world booted them out between 1920 and 1980 Evil or Very Mad . The Aussies also hate the English and fight a Evil or Very Mad war Evil or Very Mad with them every second year called THE ASHES Twisted Evil . This thing is more important that the Tour, the Olympics, and the Super Bowl combined Shocked . and the poms just flogged us......... Embarassed Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Wisey,

My deepest condolences... Crying or Very sad

When I was growing up (mud hadn't been invented yet), the only people that played soccer (football) where foreign students who attended some of the local universities. They played on Sundays when local (American) football fields were empty. Unlike American football, they didn't play in the rain or snow or mud. We didn't understand it but the game looked pretty civilized.

Now ruggers was a different story. It was played by a bunch of drunken louts who grew up in the privileged class. They would go out and kick the crap out of each other all Saturday afternoon and get drunker all Saturday night.

Give blood, play rugby! More violent than American football, less so than Aussie Rules... Shocked

Chas. scrum, scrum, scrum...

Last edited by verktyg on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
You have to be born in the State of Victoria to understand Aussie Rules. No-one else plays it except the South Australians, and a couple Victorians who moved to Perth. Aparently there are rules.......... but nobody knows what they are.

Ruggers as Chas referred to it, is the original game from the dear old mother country........ bunch of lousy miserable whinging......... sorry I was thinking about the cricket again. Anyway, it's called Rugby Union or just plain Rugby. It's a thug's game played by gentlemen. Most of the players go to the best private schools and universities. The format? Imagine American Football, then take away all the protective clothing and equipment, then take away the rules. 2 teams, 1 ball, kill.

Rugby League was the first professionalised version of Rugby in Britain in the late 19th & early 20th Century. Slowly, the two codes drew apart in terms of their rules, but they are still quite similar and occaisionally a League player will transfer across to the gentleman's code. The format? Imagine Rugby, played by petty criminals and mobsters.

Delta Dreamin'
Blighty 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Here's a website with "a spectator's guide to rugby" (for Americans).

http://www.pghrugby.com/index.html

Where's me soccer mum?

http://pghrugby.shutterfly.com/

Chas.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote
poufthecascadeur
????????????????????
on s'égare là!!!!!calmos les Américains,les Australiens......
Laughing
full chrome and reynolds 531 tubing 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane