gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 12 yo Gitane fan
12 yo Gitane fan 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quote
scozim
I just had to pass this on. My 12 yo son has been bugging me to let him ride the 84 Sprint. So, yesterday I took him out for a ride. His feet were a little small for my shoes - but with the clipless pedals he needed them. It took him a little while to relax and not be so twitchy with the handlebars but he picked up the downtube shifting and really seemed to have fun. To top it off he even had really good form while pedaling.

We hit 20 mph at one point and he had one heck of a big grin on his face. Of course, the headwind and slight uphill on the way home took the grin away.

But, after 7.5 miles he was truly converted to road bikes and already bugging me today to go back out again. He'll need to get bigger and until then the Raleigh Grand Prix will work well. But, I know he's really eyeing the Gitane. Very Happy

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
Better wheels on the Raleigh 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
That's great! Cool

If the Raleigh has steel rims maybe you can put some better wheels on it for him. Light weight wheels make a big difference. Alloy rims save 2-3 Lbs. over steel clincher rims.

Passing on the torch. Very Happy

Chas.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
lofter
welcome scozim, i logged into bikeforums last night for the first time in a month or two and seen you had pm'd me . sorry man , not ignoring you or anything just hardly ever log in anymore over there. i read the classic and vintage section but mostly read and hangout on the touring threads.
its cool to see you share you hobbie with your son . i remember hanging out as a teen reading cycling mags dreaming of being able to own or ride one of those beautiful blue gitanes like the pros did.
great stuff.take him out alot more and try and find some1984 winning bicycle racing illustrated mags they have the pics and stories of the racers and bikes specially the tour edition that year.i only have one or i would send u one to let him read. nice set of gitanes you have there .nothing better than a gitane blue bike with yellow decals ......enjoy both of ya Wink
Long time no see 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
lofter,

Long time no see!

On 2 rides this weekend I noticed a number of men riding with kids, both boys and girls. It's nice to see those kinds of activities.

Chas.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote
lofter
thanks chas, i havent had my head on my bikes lately guys . ive been wanting to buy a harley and have been working on getting some loans paid off . falls here and winter is coming so ill sure ill be online more. been busy at work and at home on the weekends. i do check in everyother day just havent posted lately. ive resisted the temptation to sell any of my bikes even the non gitanes as ive been trying to payoff a couple small loans . ill get the harley and get to keep the bikes also . it just has taken a little patience, but it all coming together... hopefully.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260298046170
Re: 12 yo Gitane fan 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
nicolas
scozim wrote:
I just had to pass this on. My 12 yo son has been bugging me to let him ride the 84 Sprint. So, yesterday I took him out for a ride. His feet were a little small for my shoes - but with the clipless pedals he needed them. It took him a little while to relax and not be so twitchy with the handlebars but he picked up the downtube shifting and really seemed to have fun. To top it off he even had really good form while pedaling.

We hit 20 mph at one point and he had one heck of a big grin on his face. Of course, the headwind and slight uphill on the way home took the grin away.

But, after 7.5 miles he was truly converted to road bikes and already bugging me today to go back out again. He'll need to get bigger and until then the Raleigh Grand Prix will work well. But, I know he's really eyeing the Gitane. Very Happy

Great story.

Wondering how my kids will feel about dad's hobbies...

Everytime I go riding, my 3 year old daughter looks at me and says :"boring...".

www.greglemondfan.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
scozim
So, we got the Raleigh working (yeah, I know it's English, but it's my son's size) and he rode 4.5 miles yesterday morning in 15-20 mph winds and then rode 9 miles today.

The best part is he was advertising for Gitane while on a Raleigh.

Plus many more
Looks Great 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:33 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Fine looking young man here. Can't wait to see him in the Renault-Gitane-Campagnolo jersey !!!

This is a great time to foster their interest in cycling, I enjoy riding with my sons (they're now young adults)---but I wish I could turn back the "Sands of Time" to relive those rides we took together a decade ago.

They can be serious at times.

I Like Steel !!!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:50 pm Reply with quote
scozim
smilingroadrunner wrote:
Can't wait to see him in the Renault-Gitane-Campagnolo jersey !!!

He's the one who spotted the Renault-Gitane-Campagnolo jersey on Ebay. Unfortunately, that one's my size and I don't think he'll be wearing it. Smile

Plus many more
12 yo Gitane fan 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane