gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Pedals with short threads on alloy crank?
Pedals with short threads on alloy crank? 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:41 am Reply with quote
vanhelmont
I was going to put an old pair of Atom pedals on my Super Corsa, and when I threaded them onto the Chorus cranks last night the pedal threads only extend about half way through the cranks. Maybe the pedals are intended for steel cranks, which would be thinner? Is there any danger to the crank threads, with only half as many threads supporting the pedal as there might be if the pedal had longer threads? Maybe I'll save 'em in case I get an old bike with cottered cranks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:24 pm Reply with quote
grumpyphil
From an "engineering" standpoint (meaning your safety), the depth of thread should be 1.5 X diameter. However, having a threaded hole exposed to the elements won't be great for the threads in your cranks. Should you decide to swap pedals you might have a problem. I'd find other pedals for this application.
Grumpy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:40 pm Reply with quote
vanhelmont
Thanks Grumpy.

None of the pedals I have seen seem to have threads 1.5 x diameter, but they seem to run longer than this Atom, which has 5 threads. The longest I found is an old Chorus pedal, with 8 threads. I have some pretty good Kyokuto pedals, with 7 threads, that I'm going to use.

Dave
Pedals with short threads on alloy crank? 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane