gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Clear Coat over Decals & Repaint
Clear Coat over Decals & Repaint 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quote
lanteca
I'm getting my Interclub powdercoated, and have received the set of Cyclomondo decals. I'm looking for some real specific info & advice from folks for applying the Gitane decals, e.g. exactly what kind of clear coat works - (polyurethane, urethane, etc.) and how do the decals apply onto a new powdercoat? Obviously they can't be baked on under a powder clear, so the clear will have to be a spray job. I'd like to tell my painter (who can do liquid spray as well as powder coating) what kind of clear works w/ these decals. And how to prep - do you need to sand or scuff up the powdercoat areas first before applying the decals? Do you have to sand the entire frame before clear coat spraying? And what about cleaning the bike prior to clear coat spraying? Will the decal inks smudge? I have done some autobody prep, touch-up and other painting, so am familiar w/ some techniques... Thanks for your help!
Decals & repaint 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote
lanteca
I forgot to mention that this is an early 1970's era Interclub and the decals I bought is the foil set, etc. (not the later, yellow ones)...
Cyclomondo decals 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
verktyg
I've applied Cyclomondo decals on top of the finish coat. A friend who has been restoring frames for many years recently complained about the thickness of the Cyclomondo decals. They don't clearcoat well because of the thickness.

Chas.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
lanteca
I've read on some other posts that the uncoated reproduction foil decals don't hold up well over time. Such as in about a year or so the inks smudge, which is why I'm interested in clear coating. Not sure which is worse - a less than smooth finish or smudged or faded decals on a great paint job...
Still seeking others experiences....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:07 am Reply with quote
tua
Six months ago I applied clearcoat over the Cyclomondo foil decals on my TDF. I just used rattlecan spray from the local autoparts store. I tested it first on a scrap part of the decals. I lightly sanded the entire frame with 400 grit before the polyurethane. I assumed that I could build up a coat thick enough that the edge of the decals would be protected from accidental lift off. But the decals are pretty thick. After 6 thin coats I could still catch the edge easily with a fingernail. But the clear coat does give some protection from scratching and the decals have held up well.

Tua
Clear Coat over Decals & Repaint 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane