gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » How do you know if it's authentic
How do you know if it's authentic 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
scozim
I was doing my normal search for Gitane's today and saw this in Tuscon, AZ on their Craigslist - how can you really verify the authenticity of the ad?

http://tucson.craigslist.org/bik/933775274.html

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
Gtane
This is the same machine that was sold on Ebay for $10,200 in June this year.

Here's the forum thread; http://www.gitaneusa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=663&start=0

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:08 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Judging from the head tube length, stem length, deep drop bars and angle of the drops, there are several other Gitane team members that this bike would have fit better than Charly Mottet.

Charly Mottet:

Marc Madiot in the Paris-Roubaix:

Also check out Pascal Possion's bike:

I'd like to know the story about how this bike ended up in Tucson, AZ and went from $10,200 USD to $2900 USD in 6 months? Confused

Wasn't the original eBay seller located in France? Question

Chas.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
The original seller was in Utah. I spoke with him, and he was legit. I am now corresponding with the new seller. Appears to be fraudulent, but I will let you know....

Hummmm... 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:25 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
...seems odd that both Buyer and Seller were from Utah at the time of the original eBay Sale. Now, the Tucson seller is using some of the same photos and abbreviated description from that eBay Ad.
Jay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I always thought 10K for a mottet bike was way too high...but then what do I know???

Overpriced ebay sale 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:48 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Overpriced eBay sales frequently fall through and private deals get negotiated outside of eBay. That's how my riding buddy got his 1949 Bianchi Paris-Roubaix.

Chas.
Total Fraud 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
The guy will not answer my questions as to where he got the bike...only wants me to agree to how it will be paid for, and that "Soldit" has the bike in "one of their warehouses"(!!!) and that they will send it. Oh...and he tells me that if I am not satisfied, I can return it for a full refund.

Now...I have to ask you: Who would ever do something like that with a bicycle allegedly worth 3k?

Here is his second response:

Alright, i`m glad you are still interested. So like i said before i'll explain how iSOLD It works because i want all things to be clear from the beginning. They are the best selling service on eBay, you simply drop an item to one of their stores or have them pick it up from your home, you find a buyer and they'll take it from there. When i left in Canada i left 4 items for sale in their custody, they picked them up from my home so don`t ask at what store, or where the item is exactly because i don`t know, all i know is that they are holding them in one of their warehouses, but as long as they are handling the shipping and handling i don`t care where they are.The best thing about this is that shipping is handled by them and the insurance and shipping fees are covered by them, they charge me a commission of course as nothing is free in this world but they like to call it free Smile. One more thing, the item is located in US not in Canada, so it will be shipped from US.

OK so here`s a short description of how they work: they have the item, you agree to buy it, you send me your full name and shipping address, i`ll send it to them as a confirmation that i accept you as the buyer, they send you an invoice with the transaction details and the payment instructions and you will send the payment to one of their agents. After they receive the payment confirmation, they will start the shipping process. After you receive the item, you have a 10 day money back guarantee to check if everything is in order. If you don`t like it you can return it within these 10 days and receive a full refund, or keep it and notify them so they can transfer the payment to me. If you decide to return it they will ship it back and they will bill me for the shipping cost so you see i have no intention of sending you something that isn't as described.

So if you agree with this terms and decide to proceed, then i will need your full name and shipping address in order to start the transaction. They will contact you by email so if you have other email accounts please let me have them so i can be sure that they contact you and avoid any possible delay.

As soon as i receive this details from you i will forward them to iSOLD It exactly as you sent them.

Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Hee, hee. Why don't you just post your wallet directly to them? It would be a much simpler process, and you won't be any less ripped off or inconvenienced....... Twisted Evil

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Stephan,
If you can pay by Credit Card you may be covered. If he wants other forms of payment which offer no recourse, I will suggest this is a BIG SCAM. With his fast talking answers, I suspect it is. See what he says when you tell him you will arrange to pick it up in person.

Jay

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Stephan,
After Googling, it appears iSold-it is a national franchise selling peoples items on eBay. I see no indication of their selling on Craigslist. Strange that the seller has NO IDEA of where his $3000. bike is.

Jay

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:19 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
If it walks like a duck, if it quacks like a duck...... Shocked

Cash with ID!

Chas.
How do you know if it's authentic 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane