gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Older TdF: info on restoration
Older TdF: info on restoration 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:48 am Reply with quote
Bigbird
Hi,
Just found this forum the other day. I have an older Gitane Tour de France that I bought new back in 1974. I'm thinking of "restoring" it - not to sell, but just to get it kind of back to what it was "back in the day". I've restored several motorcycles in the past but never have done a bicycle. Any pitfall I should be aware of or tips on original parts, etc will be appreciated. Here are a few photos of the TdF.

Tom Dudones
Saranac Lake, NY

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:37 pm Reply with quote
PBR Streetgang
I just found this forum, too. Your bike looks complete and original. When I hear the word "restore," it conjures up thoughts of new paint and NOS parts (and a lot of money spent). That may not be what you are thinking, but have you thought about stripping the bike (of parts, not paint), cleaning and regreasing the bearings, polishing all of the paint and aluminum, and replacing the bar wrap, tires, cables, etc.? New decals are available as well.
RE:"restoring" older TdF. Source of original/repro 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Bigbird
PBR Streetgang wrote:
......have you thought about stripping the bike (of parts, not paint), cleaning and regreasing the bearings, polishing all of the paint and aluminum, and replacing the bar wrap, tires, cables, etc.? New decals are available as well.

That's exactly what I have in mind. Nothing major, maybe just touch up some of the worn/chipped spots in the paint, then clean and polish all the bits and pieces. Where can I get a set of original decals?
Also, where do I look for any sort of serial number? Nothing on the bottom backet. Where else to look?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Original decals will be difficult to get. There are good reproductions available though (see the GitaneUSA.com "links" page).

The serial number will be on one of the rear dropouts (non-drive side). Unfortunately, except for identifying your individual bike, it will yield any clues as to the manufacture date or other information.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
the70sbike
It looks pretty original to me. The shop I worked in back in 1974 sold those. One thing I do not recall is the lugs painted a contrasting color, I think that and the downtube have been "customized" by a former owner.

Here is my TdF of the same vintage. I built this set of wheels with more modern clincher rims as a practical way to make use of the bike. I didn't want to mess with tubulars, so the original wheels hang in my garage.

I never had one back in the day, I got this a couple of years ago in rundown condition. It is an absolute delight to ride, and has a different feel to it from my other bikes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:59 am Reply with quote
Bigbird
[quote="the70sbike"]It looks pretty original to me. The shop I worked in back in 1974 sold those. One thing I do not recall is the lugs painted a contrasting color, I think that and the downtube have been "customized" by a former owner.

You're absolutely right about the lugs and downtube having been painted - I did that after owning the bike only a year or so. The original downtube decal pealed badly, so I painted that section - and the lugs to match. I think I used the touch-up paint from the VW bus thsat we had at the time. The "cusom" paint has held up far better than the original white!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:01 am Reply with quote
Bigbird
sandranian wrote:
Original decals will be difficult to get. There are good reproductions available though (see the GitaneUSA.com "links" page).

The serial number will be on one of the rear dropouts (non-drive side). Unfortunately, except for identifying your individual bike, it will yield any clues as to the manufacture date or other information.

Thanks, I'll check out the link.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:31 am Reply with quote
PBR Streetgang
I doubt most of the aluminum parts are anodized, so polishing should be pretty straightforward. This should tell you all you need to know about polishing:

http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index.php?showtopic=4005471

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:40 am Reply with quote
the70sbike
I don't think much is anodized on a TdF either. The Stronglight cranks really shine up nicely.
Nice bike! 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote
vanhelmont
Bigbird,

I like your painted lugs. I'm finally nearing the end of rebuilding a '72 Super Corsa, starting from just a frame in bad shape. If I were you, I would stick with cleaning, touch up, polish, and lube.

The main difficulties I met, hopefully, won't affect you. I had painting problems, but if you have restored motorcycles maybe you won't, if you decide to repaint.

Your bike will have French threads in the headset and bottom bracket. Both cups on the bottom bracket use a right hand thread.
If your bearing cups are OK, just reuse 'em, maybe with new balls. If the bearings are shot, the alternatives I know of are ebay, Phil Wood bottom bracket (great quality, expensive), or velo orange (they have new old stock French thread bottom brackets at reasonable prices).

edit- One upgrade I would recommend is koolstop salmon brake pads. They make pads that should almost fit your brakes. I had to file down the rubber a little to get it in. They will stop a lot better than your old brake blocks, or even than your typical replacements.

The best place I know of for info on bike repair is the late Sheldon Brown's website:
www.sheldonbrown.com

Good Luck![/url]
T d F restoration. Update 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Bigbird
Last Saturday, I took the bike over to Placid Planet bike shop in Lake Placid. They're going to do a complete overhaul -ie, new cables, brake pads, tires and tubes, true up the wheels, check the derailler, lube everything and so on. I hope to have the bike back in a week or so, then I'll start on the cosmetics. I found a picture of the bike when it was new (actually, I was pretty close to "new" then as well!). Here's the bike as it - and I - looked back in 1974. Yikes! Hope to have it looking that good when I finish it this winter.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Great picture. I love "back in the day" pics. Post more if you have them. Same goes for you, Chas.

Was that Velox bar tape? If so...you can still get that on Ebay. Looks great....

I may have some NOS Mafac cable housing for that bike....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:01 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Tom,

Your bike is in superb condition. You've kept it really well. I agree with the other posts, and yours too, about retaining frame paint originality. Nice shot too of the machine when new.

PBR Streetgang, thanks for the polishing info. I love the mention of a 'mouse sander'. That really did get me thinking as I had no idea what that could possibly be. All clear now after a quick search. Terrific description.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:52 am Reply with quote
Bigbird
"Great picture. I love "back in the day" pics. Post more if you have them. Same goes for you, Chas.

Was that Velox bar tape? If so...you can still get that on Ebay. Looks great....

I may have some NOS Mafac cable housing for that bike...."

Stephan,
Yeah I think that it was Velox bar tape. I'll have to check on eBay. And if you do have some NOS Mafac cable housing PM me. I've been looking for some decent replacements. I should get the bike back from the shop in time for Christmas - tho it'll be awhile before I get a chance to ride.... we've got quite a bit of snow up here and it's usually mis-April before the roads are clear and the white stufff is pretty much gone.

Tom

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane