gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » I love this bike
I love this bike 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote
jimmer909
Found this site awhile ago whilst looking for sticker/decals for my 70's TDF.
Been ridin it off and on for over 30 years now. More so now that I have found a bikin partner.I rebuilt it in my kitchen 2 winters ago, with help from Patty (Johnny's Bike Shop, Sheboygan) God bless her! Am still looking for the decals though. She's Walmart orange now with Shimano derailurs and shifters. This pic is b4 the rebuild.[img]

[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:06 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Welcome to the group.

Walmart orange - PALEEEZE! It's Merckx Orange! (or Holdsworth, or Colnago) anything but Walmart orange. Evil or Very Mad

Some of the top professional bikes from the late 60s through mid 70s were painted that color orange. My first Gitane an entry level 1972 Gran Sport was that color.

I've owned a number of Gitanes since then but for the past 35 years I've wanted an orange Gitane Tour de France like yours or the next model up, a Super Corsa (either one, in my size 57cm or 54cm).

On Friday I lucked out and finally scored a 1972 57cm orange Tour de France, all original and in mint condition. Very Happy

Back to your original question, a number of members of the forum worked with a decal maker in Australia to come up with the correct foil decals for the top end Gitane models from the late 60s and early 70s.

You can buy the decals on eBay from Cyclomondo. They sell for $45 a set and are pretty easy to apply (we have no connection to the seller, he helped us by making these pretty much unobtainable decals).

Click on this link to see them:

http://tinyurl.com/8te2tu

BTW, nice bike, almost all original.

Chas.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote
jimmer909
Chas...it's Krylon orange from walmart....still tacky I know, but was the closest match at the time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quote
vanhelmont
Nothing wrong with Krylon, as far as I know. My first try at repainting my frame was with an automotive paint from autozone. It looked great, but for some reason didn't stick. I used the same brand to touch up my car, and seemed to have to get really close, then it worked pretty OK. On the bike it seemed like the paint never wet the surface unless I stayed in one spot, and held the can close, in which case it ran. I'm going to try again with krylon. I got a good bike paint job out of Krylon about 20 years ago. But when the paint hits the bike, it turns to Merckx, Molteni, or take your pick.

Great bike, and congrats on a great rebuild and repaint after 30 years.

Dave
I love this bike 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane