gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Nice 53cm TdF on Los Angeles Craigslist
Nice 53cm TdF on Los Angeles Craigslist 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quote
overfedlonghairedgnome
This is worth a look-see, I think
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/bik/1007719440.html

I'm not in any way related to the seller nor have I seen this bike in person.

Good luck!
Jim

FIXIE! Where's my cattle prod! 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Looks great. It's probably about a 1971 or 72 in very nice condition.

One problem it has Simplex Prestige derailleurs instead of the original Criterium models. It could have come that way from the factory or someone replaced the original Criteriums with another brand and then later installed the wrong model Simplex derailleurs.

I have one that's almost identical that I gave $200 for a year ago.

Mine is a little earlier with the willow leaf seat stay caps plus it was filthy with about 20 years of barn dirt covering it.

Chas.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:26 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Jim,

Nice condition overall, particularly so around the lugs.

Thanks for posting.

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote
trials guy
Hello - New member here. I owned an Interclub in 1972 as a high-schooler and have been looking for another Gitane. I'm not too familiar with pricing on vintage bikes; what do folks think of his asking price given this bikes condition, originality, etc... Thanks
Gone? 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:57 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Welcome to the group.

As far as pricing is concerned, condition is everything. If I saw this bike in the flesh, I would probably pay $450 for it if it was as nice as it looked in the photos. There is also the possibility of negotiations with the seller when you have cash in hand. In addition doing a local pick up can save a lot of money on shipping and it eliminates the possibility of damage in transit.

Finding a complete bike your size is usually the best deal. Nicks and scratches in the paint can be touched up or repainted but rust is a real deal breaker. Some light rust on the forks and stays can be easily cleaned up with steel wool but beyond that it lowers the value considerably.

Make sure the fork is original and the frame hasn't been damaged in a wreck. Check for signs of paint cracking or ripples in the tubes at the top tube and down tube lugs. I don't trust restored or repainted bikes very much unless I know that the work was done by a competent mechanic/frame builder.

Complete Gitane Tour de France, Super Corsa and similar models from the 70s and 80s have been selling in the $200 - $600 range (same for Peugeots and Motobecanes). If you're looking for a classic bike to ride, the French bikes are usually a better deal than say Raleigh Pros and all Campy or Shimano Dura-Ace equipped Italian marques which sell in the $500 - $1200+ range.

Gitane pro bike frames have been selling for $100 - $500. It will take another $200 - $600 for components plus any labor cost to assemble the bike.

"Junk Yard Dogs" buy bikes cheap and part them out to sell on eBay or Craigslist. A butchered bike can bring an abattoir $600 - $1500 for the frame and all the components sold separately.

Hope that this helps a little.

Chas.
Nice 53cm TdF on Los Angeles Craigslist 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane