gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » NOS Gitane Transfers, as Advertised on Ebay
NOS Gitane Transfers, as Advertised on Ebay 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:40 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Just spotted these NOS Gitane transfers, as advertised on Ebay. Auction only has a few hours left to run.

http://tinyurl.com/dfbkur

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Tim,

This is a mismatched set of decals. The seller must have a lot of these decals as they keep coming back.

I wrote the seller suggesting that they were mismatched (the down tube Gitane decals are the earlier foil style). They got defensive about their expertise or lack thereof.

These head tube decals are later (or earlier) than the ones in Cyclomondo's set.

Chas.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:30 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Thanks Chas,

I sometimes see original individual transfers at jumbles from times gone by but they are certainly getting harder to find.

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:16 pm Reply with quote
dan lenik
I am having 2 new sets of decals made for my 1974 Hosteller from a guy in California that does terrific work! He made decals for my Raleigh Randonneur and for a Roadmaster "Little 500" racing bike that I own. I bought a girls Grand sport deluxe for parts on ebay and removed the transfers carefully with a heat gun. I then sent them in to be remade.
They cost me $100 for two full sets; thrifty ain't my knickname!
If anyone wants his email I will forward it on and you can inquire. I love riding this bike so much that it's going to cycleart for a repaint next month.
Repaint 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Ah.... sorry but I can spot a CycleArt re-spray from 25 feet away. They use TOO much clearcoat and they take a lot of liberties with colors and decals.

The are others that do a more original job for less money! Rolling Eyes

It will be interesting to see what the guy in SoCal comes up with for decals.

You may have missed the threads about Gitane foil decals last year. Several of us worked with Greg at Cyclomondo on eBay to help him make replica Gitane foil decals. He sells them for $45 a set and they look just like the originals. Probably same Mylar foil film that Gitane originally used.

Here's one of the threads from the Forum discussion:

http://tinyurl.com/cjscmv

This is the eBay link for the Cyclomondo Foil decals:

http://tinyurl.com/dl2m4u

Chas.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:48 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I have to agree with Chas. regarding Cyclart. Nice folks, for sure, but the work they do (as far as Gitane is concerned) isn't necessarily what I would call a "restoration". The clear coat they use (or amount of it) produces a finish that would have been nice on Gitane, but is, quite frankly, much more than ever existed on the bike. In other words, they don't restore as much as completely refinish the bike to "better than original" status. And the decals they were using for the older bikes were WAY off. Cyclomondo's are much better. I guess if you could get Cyclart to use better decals, perhaps you would have a "better than original" Gitane bike, but not really a "restoration."

One thing I do like about cycleart is that they put their decal on their resprays, so that everyone knows it is a respray. Oh...and yes...they are very expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:46 am Reply with quote
dan lenik
Hi all! Thanks for the input! I haven't sent the frame out yet so maybe I'll drive it down to Bilenky cycles in Philadelphia instead. He painted my Raleigh Randoneur and installed S&S couplings in fine fasion! I just though I'd spread the wealth and try someone different.

Anyone who can recommend a paint shop, PLEASE let me know! I'm not looking for a restoration; but the color has to be pretty dead on. I ride all of my bikes and I am looking for an excellent quality spray and durability. Price comes a distant third.
I should have the transfers in about three weeks,so stay tuned! I will post a picture when they show.
Thanks again for your input! Sincerely, Dan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:49 am Reply with quote
verktyg
sandranian wrote:
I have to agree with Chas. regarding Cyclart. Nice folks, for sure, but the work they do (as far as Gitane is concerned) isn't necessarily what I would call a "restoration". The clear coat they use (or amount of it) produces a finish that would have been nice on Gitane, but is, quite frankly, much more than ever existed on the bike. In other words, they don't restore as much as completely refinish the bike to "better than original" status. And the decals they were using for the older bikes were WAY off. Cyclomondo's are much better. I guess if you could get Cyclart to use better decals, perhaps you would have a "better than original" Gitane bike, but not really a "restoration."

It's not just the high gloss finish of the clearcoat, the thickness can cover up the fine details in the lug work and so on. They do offer variations in the thickness and amount of gloss in their clearcoating but I've never seen one that didn't stick out like a gold tooth! Shocked

sandranian wrote:
One thing I do like about cycleart is that they put their decal on their resprays, so that everyone knows it is a respray.

Unnecessary gilding of the lily.... Laughing

In response to Dan's question about other sources, many of the good painters/restorers also tend to work pretty slowly.

Scroll down in this link and you will find a list of refinishers.

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/ClassicRe.htm

I know Ed Litton, he does good work and his jobs tend to looks like they just came out of the factory. He can also do custom work if requested.

If you found someone who's work you like, I'd stick with them.

Chas.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I wish price were a "distant third" consideration in my hobbying decisions.... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote
dan lenik
Certainly "price is a distant third" doesn't mean I have plenty of money to throw around. I just don't like having to do things twice! I had (have) a Schwinn Superior resprayed in Flamboyant red. I had the fork tips rechromed and spent big money on the factory matched paint. I got a great price for a respray but it took two tries and now 5 years later rust is bubbling under the paint. It's best to spend more money up front for quality work. Hope this clears things up! Sincerely, Dan
NOS Gitane Transfers, as Advertised on Ebay 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane