gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Gitane "Delta" - Absolutely ahead of its time.
Gitane "Delta" - Absolutely ahead of its time. 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:33 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
There is now a debate in pro cycling about the rules relating to aero handlebars. Specifically, the debate centers around the rules relating to the size and shape of the "winglike" structures now being used on many of the top team bikes.

I would encourage you to look at the pictures of the bars now in question, like the one in the picture linked below, and then consider that Gitane was making a similar bar way back in 1983/84....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2009/feb09/california09/tech.php?id=/photos/2009/tech/features/toc_aero_liquigas_helmet09/Highroad_Techdev_bars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Kinst VonSterga
Yes ... gitane was ahead of its time back then, and so was Peugeot with its carbon tube/vitus lug combination (which I see one is being sold on ebay now). Either way, I think the debate is a joke, since if they go after the bars, they might as well go after the rims, headtubes, seat tubes, helmuts, etc., that are all starting to look like airfoils too! At lease they got past the urge to restrict the use of carbon fiber.

LT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote
lofter
wow looking at that setup ,it looks alot like the way the delta was set up as far as the stem looks . only difference is that it comes out the top instead of the middle of the head tube.but does look like the track delta that i seen.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
There is nothing new under the sun.........

I get really tired of reading those hype magazine stories about the latest and greatest technology. Deep rims were done by gitane/Renault in 82-83 on the Profil bike which laid the foundations for everything else to come. Integrated airfoil bars on the delta and also by Cinelli on the Laser. Seat tubes that hugged and shielded the rear wheel were being done in Britain by various builders in the 60's. Mounting brake calipers behind the fork was done by gitane and every 16 year old riding trials in Britain in the 70s. Internally routed cables? meh! The only significant changes have been carbon fibre - allowing us to have all the frills without the weight penalty, and aero bars that allow the RIDER to be more aerodynamic.

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Good article:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2009/features/aero_rules_response09

I tend to agree with him inasmuch as the UCI want to clamp down on one ste of rules regarding the dimensions of the equipment, but are happy to ignore another rule that states quite clearly that all equipment used is to be available for public consumption. His point about the equipment used by the GB squad stands. I read that after the Olympics, they collected up all the skinsuits and burned them so that they wouldn't fall into enemy hands and be copied!!! (caveat: I read it on cyclingnews or one of those sites.......)

He also makes a good point about the UCI's usless positioning rules.

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel
Gitane "Delta" - Absolutely ahead of its time. 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane