gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 64 Gitane Delux (I think??)
64 Gitane Delux (I think??) 
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
tenaciousvirgil
Hi guys! I bought This bike at a garage sale for 10 bucks!! Can you guys help me identify it. I looked though the catalogs section. It Looks to be a 64 delux, but I am new to this and could be way off.
Few other questions: Is it rare? Approximate value?

I can take more pics if needed

Thanks a bunch -Virg

1964? Deluxe 
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Virg,

Welcome to the forum. You found a classic. It's probably worth at least $100 and a lot more to someone who might want it for their collection. So for $10 you did great.

With a little elbow grease it will look great. Do a search on 'steel wool' for cleaning hints. Be careful cleaning around the old decals as they are probably fragile.

You can still find replacement Mafac rubber 1/2 hoods on eBay but they are starting to get expensive. Same thing for the old style brake cable housing.

Chas.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
tenaciousvirgil
Cool thanks man, I love this bike and plan on using it alot.

There is a little rust on the frame about the size of a quater. Should I sand and steel wool it out and have a shop match the paint color?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Virg, G'd evening and welcome to the forum. As Chas has mention, this is a great find. Is it possibly more likely the Parliament model ???

Is it a Norex saddle? (possible closeup of front fork ends and rear drop outs) The Deluxe according to catalog would be Campy items. Just wonder if it isn't closer to the Pariliament model with add ons of the rear carrier and wheel reflectors.

Hard to tell if it is a '64, but to me the decals sure look similiar. Seems likely that it is a middle to later 60's model ---Catalogs for those years are scarce or non-existant or likely Stephan or someone would have loaned one for Stephan to place on the site catalog page.

Anyway--I still think it is a neat find---I don't recall seeing a similiar model pictured on the site up to this date.

All these vintage Gitanes clean up nicely. They just require the patience and time & care to disassemble component to polish and lubricate & reassemble. The frame paint and decal pattina looks pretty good in your images. The Mafac 1/2 hoods ----sometimes you can find a later model---say a 70's Grand sport that possibly could be used just as a part source for the brake hoods.

I'd say touch up the paint to minimally protect the rust area---but leave the patina of the original paint & decal---let this Gal show how well she's Gracefully Aged and survived the last 40-45 yrs.

Great Find!!!!

I Like Steel !!!!!

C.A.
Salina, Ks.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote
tenaciousvirgil
Yea Its Got a Norex seat, thanks for the quick replies! I was having a little trouble finding brake cable housing in white. If anyone has any I would purchase it off them. I went for about a 5 mile ride tonight and It was great!! Also got quite a few thumbs ups Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:07 pm Reply with quote
dan lenik
Neat bike! White housing is all over ebay for less than 10 bucks! Just bought some myself! Didn't I read from somebody about using wood bleach on rust? I am notorious for using wd-40 or similar penetrating solvent and steel wool to remove rust but I don't recommend it. Even if you are careful, it can still be detrimental( and hard on the lungs). Good luck with your find and post more pictures!
Evapo-Rust 
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Evapo-Rust, this stuff really works.

http://www.evapo-rust.com/

Check out this website:

http://www.ece.ubc.ca/~gillies/raleigh/international/Carlton77.html

Chas.
Evapo-Rust for small parts 
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:26 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
I second Chas'. comment on Evapo-Rust for small parts (won't affect Chrome). I use Bronze Wool as it's not as abrasive as Steel Wool. I found it at AutoZone.
Here's a "before" and "after".

Jay

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:16 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Wow. Nice find! Please please please don't repaint that bike. A really great bike in wonderful shape.

64 Gitane Delux (I think??) 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane