gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Restoration in progress...
Restoration in progress... 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
zootsuit
Hi there

So I'm almost complete with my first restoration. Although an avid cyclist this is the first vintage bike (pre 90's) that I've owned and its taught me a lot!

I think this model is an Interclub from around 74-45, though not sure (anyone?). I've probably spent way too much time cleaning, polishing and reassembling the components , considering its not worth all that much. But I've had so much fun and learnt so much that I've become quite attached to the bike - Ive got to know each piece pretty well!

It was in a pretty bad state when I got it from ebay but underneath the grime and surface corrosion it seems to all be in great condition. Ive stripped it down completely and rebuilt . The only parts I've replaced are bearing, tyres, the rear mech,sadde and a few spokes. Ive also touched up the frame where the paint was chipped and pretty please with the results

Anyway not quite finished, but once the new cables and bar tape are on I should be good to go!

Very Happy Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
zootsuit
...and a chain and pedals, _then_ I'll be good to go! Very Happy
Ver nice 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Kinst VonSterga
Your project is a handsome one at that! I have a later 60s C35 L.Bobet frame that is almost the exact same color as your Gitane, a lovely color, especially when the sun hits it! The yellow crank (what make/model is it?) highlights really makes it pop. What color handlebar tape are you planning to use? If yellow, I think there is a beautiful perforated version by Fzik that would compliment your bicycle to the nines!
Yellow Fi'zi;k Bar Tape 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Here's what the Fi'zi;k bar tape looks like. It has a really nice feel. I found that it works best when applied over a layer of cloth tape.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:04 am Reply with quote
zootsuit
Thanks! Is that the Microtex tape? I was actually thinking of getting it but in white, but now you've tempted me to look at yellow!

I was going to replace the black cable housing with white, does anyone know if black is what it would have originally come with?

Also there is gold lining on some of the lugs, but it isnt on all of them.. Is this original or more likely to be done by the previous owner? It does match the gold outline of the decals pretty nicely.

The cranks are the original Sugino Maxy, I just polished them and used some enamel paint on the flutes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote
scozim
zootsuit wrote:
Thanks! Is that the Microtex tape? I was actually thinking of getting it but in white, but now you've tempted me to look at yellow!

I was going to replace the black cable housing with white, does anyone know if black is what it would have originally come with?

I've moved to Bike Ribbon bar tape the past couple of years - little more of a vinyl look and a little easier to clean. And, it doesn't tear easily when I screw up and hit the ground. I've used black, white, yellow and blue and am very happy with all of them. I usually order it from Loose Screws.

Here's the yellow:

Here's the white - only it's a partial shot of the bar because it's from another French bike and I don't want to be banned. Confused

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
Restoration in progress... 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane