gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » How many Gitane's and where did you get them
How many Gitane's and where did you get them 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:13 am Reply with quote
scozim
I've been reading a lot of the old posts but didn't see anything on the above topic. How many Gitane's do you have and what models? Where did you buy them?

I've got the two (84 Sprint and Tour de France) that I recently purchased from a local bike shop and via the Seattle Craigslist. I just found out my local bike shop owner has a Gitane Kilo - looks to be circa 1984. Guess what I have my eye on now. Smile

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Good post, fun topic. Here is the list from my garage:

1. 1984 "Kilo" - Ebay

2. 1987 "Team Pro" - Ebay - Greatest Gitane bike ever made. Period.

3. 1987 "Inter" - frameset - purchased from Gitane USA in 1988

4. 1976 "Tour de France" - Traded a 1986 "Professionnel" with GitaneUSA forum member Paul Wiseman in Australia.

5. 1984 "Gran Tour" - built up as a cross bike

6. 2006 "Carbone" - France

7. 2005 "Carambar" - Craigslist, source: France - kids bike (that is my daughters...technically.

8. 1970 "Gran Sport de Luxe" - Ebay - resprayed frameset

9. 2000 "Replica" (frameset) - Ebay

10. 2004 "Airplane" (Frameset) - France - ...which is broken and now a display in my office, because I was hit by a car on it!

Forgot this one, for some unknown reason...

11. 1984 "Team Pro" - From list member Lofter...and being built with Campagnolo Super Record...but not completed yet. It got some NOS decals, and will look almost exactly like Fignon's 1984 bike.

Pics of almost all of my bikes are in the "Owner's Gallery", if you are interested.

Last edited by sandranian on Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Here's the Gitane part of my basement shop stable:

1. 1970 Tour de France Lots of fun this first season --refurbished project this past winter, Ebay purchase from the N. California, Oregon area.

2. 1971 Interclub My first entry into racing frames -- my first Gitane, purchased June 1971 Burgess Schwinn Cyclery here in Salina. My daily -weekly ride- trainer for the past 37+ years now. Fair weather--inclimate weather, it's been in it all. It continues to serve me faithfully---but gets to spend a little more time in the stable resting these days, as the '70 TdeF is so much fun to ride.

3. 1970 possibly late as '71 Tour de France Probably this will be one of this winters projects. Ebay purchase from N. Carolina area--appears to have originally been in the Dallas-Ft Worth area from frame stickers

4. 1973 Interclub " Younger-Bigger Brother " to my '71 Interclub. Originally purchased by one of my high school friends who worked for Burgess Schwinn Cyclery. Basically had hung in Doug's garage for the last 15-18 yrs. Maybe a project this year--the 86-87 might trump working on this bike.

5. 1973 Tour de France Purchased on Ebay from the Colo Springs area --a future refurbish project, finally got the frame alingment corrections. Not in a real hurry as frame is a bit small for me---and troubled by the fact that paint is really in sad shape & might really require a refinish---and I prefer to try to leave the frames with their original patina.

6. 1971---???1973 Grand Sport----Ebay purchase principally for the Normandy Hubs to build up a second set of wheels for my '71 Interclub---This frame really is in bad shape from exposure & for the most part I'm using parts on other projects.

7. 1986 or possible more likely 1987 Victoire Ebay purchase that had been "abused" A 'fixey' conversion that hopefully will refurbish into it's original 12 speed configuration this winter

Oh, also my hope & wish for about a decade or two now. A local 71-72 Super Corsa that hopefully one day the owner will finally sell, to add to my stable.

I Like Steel !!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
lofter
forgot one sandman Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Crap. You are right! Now that I look at the list, perhaps my wife has a point?

NAH!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Gtane
Just the one Gitane. A 1988 Replica from France.

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:43 am Reply with quote
lofter
1. 83 team pro bought from forum member tallnorskie, built with all the specs on the catalog
2. 81 tt bike, first specifically designed bike for time trials, bought off collector on east coast
3. 84 57cm team pro , bought from tallnorskie,built with all 84 s record.
4. 84 54 cm team pro , bought off ebay. not built yet, nicest of my team pros
5. 87 interclub, bought off ebay , reynolds 531c built with all catalog specs of the edco group
6. 89- 90 gitane tt funny bike with the 650 front wheel , bought from french ebay its one of the bikes painted like the histor colors
7. 84 grandtour bought from minn. craigslist , stronglight and huret and simplex parts , tried to keep the bike parts french in theme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:47 am Reply with quote
citternmaker
Just a couple of TdF's here:

1) 54cm, pre-1973 (probably 1972) TdF with Bocama short point lugs, bought as a frameset from forum member DP, and built using parts from my first Gitane below. This one is quickly becoming my favorite ride.

2) 62cm, pre-1973 TdF frame with Prugnat long-point lugs. I bought this TdF from a work friend in 1980, and it was the first decent lightweight road bike I ever owned. Despite having been much too large for me, and with a bent head tube and SR replacement fork, I rode the bike as my primary transportation and for recreation throughout college and beyond, finally retiring it in 1995. I transferred all of the components over to the 54cm frame in 2008. I'm not really sure what to do with this one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:16 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
In order of purchase:
1972 TdF - purchased new by self in College. As spec'd plus a few upgrades. Excellent condition.
In the last 9 Months:
1974ish Interclub - eBay - frame set and parts less wheels. Rebuild in progress.
1972ish TdF - went to buy a $20. part in CL Ad and came home much poorer with this bike too. Needs a few things to get to period correct.
1976 TdF - missed on its first time on CL, got it on the second time around. All original as spec'd and in Great condition.

Jay

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:06 am Reply with quote
verktyg
My ridding buddy says it's a sickness but he wants the key to my garage in case anything happens to me... Laughing

1. Late 60s TdF. Bought it at a LBS (local bike shop) last December for $200. It was a true "barn bike" covered with 20+ years of dust and grime. I'm about halfway finished rebuilding it. It'll be almost all original when I finish it.

2. 1984 Super Corsa. My first modern Gitane. Bought frame on eBay about a year and a half ago. I intended to use it as a bad weather beater bike. Instead, it's become one of my favorites. Pictures in owners gallery.

3. 1984 TdF. Almost new with nice upgrades. Bought on eBay last winter. Pictures in owners gallery.

4. 1985? Team Pro frame. Bought on eBay this past spring. I have a Campy Victory gruppo to keep it original.

5. 1992? Team frame. Bought on eBay this past summer. Gitane blue with black and yellow decals. Made with Columbus EL oversize tubing. I'm going to build it up with Shimano components.

In addition to my 5 Gitanes, I have 7 classic Motobecanes and 4 Bertins in my collection of Frenchy bikes! Very Happy

Chas.
How many Gitane's and where did you get them 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane